We're Hiring! MassCOSH Youth Coordinator
JOB OPENING: MassCOSH Youth Coordinator
The Massachusetts Coalition for Occupational Safety and Health (MassCOSH) is a nonprofit organization that builds the power of workers – both youth and adults – to lead efforts that achieve safe, healthy working conditions. MassCOSH is seeking a Youth Coordinator for its youth-led Teens Lead @ Work young worker safety initiative. Teens Lead @ Work has won numerous awards for its ability to give youth a voice in ensuring safe, healthy employment opportunities free from sexual harassment and violence. TL@W youth played a leadership role in groundbreaking changes to the state’s Child Labor Laws, investigated and released a report on violence in retail stores, and wrote the first sexual harassment curriculum by and for youth.
Job description: The Youth Coordinator will support, guide, and coach a team of youth peer leaders as they lead the programs young worker safety, sexual harassment and violence prevention education and organizing efforts. The Youth coordinator will bring out the best in these youth and help ensure that the program is effective
- Provide leadership training, coaching and support to youth peer leaders as they plan and lead young worker safety efforts including:
- Conduct outreach and lead trainings and/or conferences.
- Research young worker concerns and lead education and organizing efforts to address them
- Monitor the news or other sources and issue press releases or letters to the editor
- Meet with government officials to monitor Child Labor enforcement, coordinate a safe jobs for youth poster contest and ensure that youth have a strong voice in policy-making
- Introduce the program to funders
- Strive to succeed in school, apply to college and navigate the financial aid process.
- Develop annual personal goals and program objectives, and evaluate outcomes and impact
- Assist the director with grant-writing and funder relations efforts.
- Support and supervise Americorps Promise Fellow and interns (alumni)
- Foster collaborations with youth organizations, unions and other allies to engage them in supporting TL@W’s efforts and engaging youth peer leaders in supporting their campaigns
- Contribute to organization-wide efforts, such as Annual Event, Workers Memorial Day, membership recruitment, and newsletters.
Skills / experience:
- Extensive experience with youth leadership development, training and support, required
- Experience with youth-led organizing, required
- Experience supporting youth of color and working in diverse communities, required
- Strong writing, networking and public speaking skills required
- Experience organizing events/rallies, a plus
- Strong connections/relationships in the community, a plus
- Knowledge of college application process, a plus
- Grant-writing experience, a plus
- Experience with worker health and safety and working with unions a plus
- Bi-lingual Spanish, Portuguese or Creole language ability a plus
Salary: $52,000 per year, plus full individual health and dental, and 403B contribution.
To apply: Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com by September 25.
MassCOSH staff are members of USWA Local 9358
MassCOSH is an equal opportunity / affirmative action, Title IX, 504 employer.
People of color are encouraged to apply.